Sunday, April 1, 2012

Kyoto's Spirit


Kyoto is full of Shinto shrines, Buddhist temples, and gardens that are part of its soul.  It is impossible for me to describe the spirit they convey, so instead I will try to do so in pictures.

 
 






 
I’ve tried to limit the number of typical shrine and garden shots and instead show you some of what most affected me:   

-the calm of a simple bell, the energy of color and light;



 
- the quiet intense beauty of a sand garden;

- the careful details;







 - the vistas that seemed to extend forever; and the care and minute attention of a gardener.








Last, here is an example of how Kyoto affects its artists:  a vase by Zenji Miyashita, a leading contemporary Kyoto potter, and Kyoto at sunset.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous, and your pictures certainly capture what I assume is the atmosphere of a fabulous place. Thanks for transporting me there.

    ReplyDelete